Monday, August 07, 2006

Let's Make a Deal

In case you haven't noticed, I'm at a bit of a loss as of late in regards to what I would like to do with my future. My options are as follows:

1) Get a crappy office job. Hate life.
2) Go back to school for a Master's Degree (possibly abroad). Immerse myself in debt.
3) Strip.
4) Get an internship(s). Be poor.
5) Keep holding out in hopes of getting the job I want (although I'm not even sure what that is anymore).
6) Teach English abroad for a year in Hong Kong, Italy, Spain, Japan, Germany, or Insert Cool Country Here.
7) Create interesting internet alter-ego. Blog. Land book deal.

I have a potential internship in web journalism in the works. It's unpaid, but it seems like the type of environment and work that would suit me nicely. It's only 10 hours a week, so I would be able to pursue options 2, 3 and 7 at the same time.

I don't know what to do, so I'm leaving it in your hands. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-L

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do it! Do the internship! If it suits you nicely, why would you NOT do it? You're not obliged to suffer in order to validate your choices!

Simultaneously get work that pays cash whenever possible (ie. waitress, bartender, whatever). Get other gigs, do as much as you can. Try stuff, like maybe stand up comedy or something performance or reading-related in some of the small clubs, or do open mike to get a baptism by fire. There's loads of places to try it for free, while you get good at it (where people will be too drunk to remember if you were awful anyway), and maybe even get paid.

Forget crappy office job. But if you must work for some asshole and be miserable, make sure it's abroad, someplace cool or interesting or undiscovered. I do not recommend joining any charities to do this, though, because you're way to cynical to be surrrounded by do-gooders. I mean, not unless you plan on generating frustrations as fodder for writing.

If you want to go back to school, make sure you do it on a full scholarship. If you can't, it's not worth the ensuing debt. School is bull anyway.

That's my two cents.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"way TOO cynical" (sorry for the typo, I hate it when people forget the extra "o")

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm leaning towards stripping. such a boost for your self-confidence, no?

btw, my dad actually did that weird lemon juice honey diet shit for seven days. he didn't lose any weight and he looked like he was gonna die all the time.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2 overseas or 6 in hong kong that's what i want to do but ive go a few years on ya :/

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home