Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Volunteers of America

Just in case someone from work comes across my site and sees that previous entry, thus putting my job in jeopardy, I’d like to clarify that I really was sick. My stomach had been acting up all weekend and Monday, and yesterday’s rest was much needed. I can feel the productivity coursing through my veins now.

------------------------------------------

So, last night, after spending the better part of the day in bed, I managed to drag myself into Chelsea for my Volunteers of America meeting. Yes, I’m actually donating my time to a good cause.

The meeting was spent brainstorming ideas for possible events for the homeless, people living with HIV, victims of domestic violence, at-risk youth, etc. Of course, I had to venture my personal favorite suggestion.

“Um, how does everyone feel about baseball?”

“Oh, yeah, baseball. We go to a lot of games. We actually have a good relationship with the Mets,” our group leader says.

“Oh, wow, really. That’s cool,” I squeak.

“Yeah, Tom Glavine and Cliff Floyd actually do a lot of charity work with us. We also have an event where ten players come to Morton’s Steakhouse and treat some kids to a steak dinner.”

“Wow, that’s really cool.” At this point I’m tightening all the muscles in my stomach to keep it from bursting and spraying my innards all over the twinkle-eyed volunteers.

Besides being my link to my future husband, the Volunteers of America do a lot of really cool/fun charity work, and I encourage everyone to join. Unless you’re an attractive female. In which case, don’t.

Moral of the story: volunteer work = cool

-----------------------------------------

Despite the cost involved, I can’t say enough about the upgrade in your commuting experience when you take the Long Island Railroad. I was all set for a relaxing, enjoyable ride home on the LIRR, oblivious to the fact that the Rangers game had just let out.

In two words: absolute chaos

In three words: absolute drunken chaos

I settled into my seat, headphones blaring, when a throng of drunken, raucous Rangers fans swarmed into my car and engulfed me in the stench of cheap beer. Thank God for noise-cancelling earphones.

I consider myself a very friendly person, but like most New Yorkers, I don’t like it when people speak to me on the train. So of course the two middle-aged gentlemen sitting next to me just had to engage me in conversation.

“What are you listening to?” Man #1 asks.

“Music.”

“What kinda music?”

“Rock.”

“Really?”

“Yes.”

“This is Pat, by the way.” Man #1 gestures to Man #2.

“Hello, Pat.”

“You listen to metal?” Pat asks.

“No, not really.”

At this point it became clear that they weren’t going to leave me alone, and as a person who despises rudeness in any form, and because I was honestly curious, I asked, “So, did the Rangers win?”

“No,” Man #1 says, “it was a close game though. Are you a Rangers fan?”

“No.”

“Are you a sports fan?”

“Yeah.”

“What’s your sport?”

“Baseball.”

“Mets fan?”

“Yep.”

“So, who won today?”

“The Mets, naturally.”

“What pitcher won today?” he challenges me.

“Bannister.”

“Oh! You really are a Mets fan! Who’s your favorite player?”

“David Wright. Obviously, I’m a girl.”

Here we talked some more about this season, the new players, etc. etc., then proper introductions were made, but I don’t remember his name. Finally, the Bayside stop came up and I said good night and got off.

Moral of the story: sports fans = good peoples

-L

1 Comments:

Blogger Gamer C. said...

I think its nice you do charity work. I should really be more into helping my communtity too.

I'm a natural born talker. It's a trait I pick up from my mother. Although I like to talk, I really don't engage in a lot conversations with strangers. If they talk to me, I'll response back but most of my talking is around family memembers and friends. I like telling a lot jokes though, no matter where I'm at.

I hope you feel better. Its allergy season (Also known as Spring) so people do get under the weather.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home