Monday, January 07, 2008

Mondayisms

1) 2007 left me with a handful of extra pounds I can’t seem to shake no matter what and a newly acquired sweet tooth. I was never much for cakes and cookies, candies and sweets, but somewhere towards the beginning of last year, I developed an insatiable taste for the sugary, starchy, gooey and buttery. Good for baking, bad for the waist.

2) Tonight’s attempt at chicken pot pie turned out to be a success. My brothers and I polished off the entire nine-inch pie (which doesn’t seem too big, but when it’s filled with starchy vegetables, chicken and thick gravy, turns out to be very hearty) in one fell swoop. I take a lesson from everything I make lately, and I’ve learned that making pie crust is no fucking joke. It took longer to make the crust than it did to cook the entire pie.

3) I was tempted to make crepes for dessert, but I decided that would be inexcusable and opted to eat an orange instead.

4) That old saying that you can’t ever forget how to ride a bike is a lie. I took my new bike out for a spin and I was a wobbling mess. But better than my mother who couldn’t even move a foot before crumpling into a heap on the sidewalk.

5) Anthony Bourdain rocks. He cooks, he travels, he eats crazy shit, curses like a sailor, drinks like a fish, makes fun of everyone and is as blunt as a sledgehammer. I adore and despise him in every way imaginable.

6) I watched The Namesake last night and it served as a reminder of how familial bonds are at once virtually indestructible and dangerously fragile.

7) I wanted to hold off on watching Atonement until I read the book, but two hours of James McAvoy proved to be too much to resist. (Semi-spoiler alert) The concept of using writing to create an alternate reality that should have been really stuck with me, and I can see how it would have worked much better as a book than a film. I kind of regret watching the movie first, but whatever, James McAvoy is pretty.

-L

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you might want to run out to your nearest Duane Reade to get a pregnancy test.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't believe in immaculate conception.

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home