Monday, October 01, 2007

Until next year...

I could wax poetic about how everyone screws up and being a real fan is about supporting your team through the rough times, but I won't. I won't because I'm too fucking pissed off to give a shit about a bunch of overpaid losers who just completed the second worst collapse in baseball history (so pathetic, that they can't even fucking win at losing), and I had to watch it to a chorus of jeers from my Yankee fan-infested office because I had to work all weekend.

Yeah, I felt guilty about it at first, but then I read this:
It is not crucial that your team win championships or earn playoff berths every year. That's not what being a fan is about. If it were, there would eventually be no fans. But at some point, you have to be able to trust your team to follow through on its position in the game, in the standings, in your hopes. You have to be able to count on a team that has led its division consistently for virtually an entire season to finish the job. Yes, it's a job. The Mets' job was to win a division which was in their firm control as late as the second week of September.

They did not do their job.
So, to answer all my Yankee fan friends who have asked: No, I'm not turning my back on them. Yes, I'm still a Mets fan. But, just like they kept their "2006 NLDS Champs" banner on the top of their homepage until yesterday, the banner in my head will read "2007 History-Making Fuckups" until next season.

-L

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was sad. I feel for you, bad season for my team but, couldn't possibly be as bad your guys. Way to stick with them though, you are a real fan. Next year, always next year.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Proto said...

My only consolation was that the dodgers came in ahead of the giants.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home