Monday, September 24, 2007

It's that time again...

Time for another installment of "Choose L's Fate," brought to you by CEO's of the World in conjunction with Blogger and Monster.com. If you want random people to call you about jobs that have nothing to do with your prior experience, trust Monster. Getting your hopes up and crushing them, one phone call at a time, since 1999.

After a year at my current magazine, my boss told me that we're folding. I saw it coming, and I was planning to start looking for new work anyway, but it came a lot sooner than I thought it would. In two weeks, I will once again be unemployed. So, I'm leaving it up to the 12 and a half people who still read this site to choose my fate from one of the below options. Feel free to suggest your own.

1) Apply for another magazine editorial position. Hear no responses. Cry. Develop a dependency to pain medication, antidepressants and fried food. Drown in own vomit à la Jimi Hendrix.

2) Go back to school. Preferably abroad. Immerse self in copious amounts of debt.

3) Sell out. Become a corporate whore. Hate self.

4) Join Peace Corps. Spend two years in Africa. Contract Malaria.

5) Convince British friend to marry me for a visa. Move to Europe. Engage in illicit affair with oil tycoon from Mediterranean country. Sail a lot (because that's what rich people seem to do). Leave him for poor artist from Bar'theh'lona. Live on street.

6) Get a one-year visa to Australia. Downside: I'm only allowed to work at one job for four months at a time. Major backtrack on career goals.

7) The ever popular option: Strip.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-L

6 Comments:

Blogger Ric said...

Hmmm. You make all seven options sound so attractive ;-)

Maybe combine two or more to cancel out the negatives. For example, doing 2 and 7 would result in additional education while avoiding at least most of the debt.

Australia would be awesome if you could find some way around the work restrictions.

Whatever you do, don't do 3. Anything but that.

Anyway, my two cents.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pick #6. You will be more satisfied with it later.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Arthur Quiller Couch said...

Start with 7 while we think over the rest.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marry an Australian citizen rather than an English citizen. They have practically free higher education.

Did I mention that I'm Australian ?

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you're narcoleptic, and a nerd! My heart just skipped a beat.

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there's always the los angeles option - remember? remember?

p.s. they have pinkberry there too

4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home