Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Hey, we have something in common. I annoy me too!

I called a girl at a large publishing company to request a high resolution image of a book they're releasing so that I could include it with the blurb I had written for our culture section. The publicist for the book actually sent me one already, but accidentally sent me a thumbnail, and despite several emails that I sent requesting a high-res version, I hadn't received a reply. So, I called her up, explained my situation and told her that I need the image today. I guess she didn't realize that she had accidentally included me in the email she sent to Publicist about it:
From: girl@publishingcompany.com
To: me@magazine.com
CC: publicist@publishingcompany.com
Subject: URGENT - hi-res image of BOOK

_______ magazine said they've been trying to get in touch with you to get a larger image of the cover of BOOK. I told them I'd send it to them -- but I just searched, and there's no image on the site!!! Do you have a high-res version on your computer? The address to send it to is me@magazine.com -- she said it's "urgent" and needs to be sent "TODAY." (She was annoying. Really annoying.)
It didn't take long for her to realize her mistake because within minutes, I received this:
From: girl@publishingcompany.com
To: me@magazine.com
CC: publicist@publishingcompany.com
Subject: I am so sorry.

Oh my God, I am so sorry. It's been a crazy day here and I am overwhelmed. I am so sorry. I will find out why the image can't be found and send it to you as soon as humanly possible. I am so sorry.
and:
From: girl@publishingcompany.com
To: me@magazine.com
Subject: Update

I am having trouble reaching Publicist -- she is in meetings this afternoon. But as soon as she gets back, I will make sure she sends you a high-res image of the jacket right away.

There is no excuse for me to have written such a whiny, immature e-mail to Publicist, and I am profoundly embarrassed. Again, I apologize.
I haven't responded. Oddly enough, I feel bad for her. I was even tempted to write back and apologize for coming off as pushy (though I don't think I was rude at all). But B says, "silence is golden" and I should leave her to stew in her own embarassment for the rest of the day.

-L

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is classic and hilarious !

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL wowww.... it is better not to respond. Screw that, dont bother.

5:50 PM  
Blogger Paul Stagg said...

Enjoy it for a bit, but give her a break. She was a big enough person to apologize.. and we've all had one of those days.

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home